Submitted: Kathi Rowzie August 25, 2021
With a 100-year legacy of papermaking excellence, Twin Rivers Paper Company is a vertically integrated specialty paper company with operating assets in Maine, New York, Arkansas and New Brunswick. The company’s operations and processes are driven by environmental responsibility and respect for the communities where its more than 1,300 team members live and work.
Twin Rivers Paper is a leader in lightweight papermaking known for its innovation, technical service and customer centricity. The company offers specialty paper products to markets where it can deliver sustainable value, notably, packaging papers for the fast-food, retail food, industrial and medical sectors; technical papers specifically designed for tape, battery tissue, medical packaging, towelette and other applications; highly-engineered label papers for release liners and thermal transfer; and publishing papers used in a variety of high-volume applications including financial printing, reference manuals, catalogs and pharmaceutical inserts.
Along with a diverse portfolio of specialty papers, Twin Rivers also produces unbleached machine-finished kraft paper for multiwall bags that require exceptional strength and puncture and tear resistance, as well as for sack and converting applications. In addition, the company manufactures softwood lumber for the building products sector.
Environmentally responsible manufacturing anchors the company’s operating principles and is reflected in Twin Rivers’ commitment to stewardship and sustainability.
“Our environmental commitment touches all aspects of our business,” says Twin Rivers Chief Commercial Officer Jeff Hederick. “That includes optimizing our operations, increasing our energy self-sufficiency, reducing our carbon footprint and offering customers an innovative portfolio of responsible product options.”
- Twin Rivers is certified to the Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI®) fiber sourcing standard, which verifies that the wood fiber in all of the company’s papers is from legal and responsible sources. The company offers SFI®, Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) and Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification™ (PEFC™) chain of custody certified papers.
- Collaborating closely with leading packaging converters and premier food brands, Twin Rivers was one of the first companies to commercialize PFAS-free food packaging papers, leading the way in the transition from traditional grease-resistant papers to fluorocarbon-free papers that deliver functional attributes required in the marketplace.
- Twin Rivers’ New York-based Lyonsdale, Mohawk Valley and Mill Street mills have achieved FSSC 22000 Certification for Food Packaging, a GSI-recognized food safety certification developed to improve consistency and integrity throughout all aspects of the food safety supply chain.
- Twin Rivers is certified to the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) 9001 Quality Management Standard. Additionally, the Madawaska location is certified to the ISO 14001 Environmental Management System (EMS) Standard, one of the most comprehensive and widely utilized EMS standards in the world.
- The company utilizes environmentally safe elemental chlorine-free bleaching technology.
- Steam heat captured from the papermaking process reduces Twin Rivers’ energy requirements, and 82% of the company’s energy is generated from carbon-neutral sources.
- Twin Rivers’ pulp mill in Edmundston, New Brunswick, uses renewable, carbon-neutral biomass at its onsite 45MW cogeneration plant to generate steam and electricity to power the company’s largest paper mill in Madawaska, Maine. The plant also provides electricity to the power grid in New Brunswick.
“Actively participating in and supporting trade organizations that amplify our messaging is an important part of our sustainability commitment,” says Hederick. “Two Sides is a valuable resource for Twin Rivers and we’re proud to be a member. The organization’s advocacy and tireless work to promote the sustainability of print, paper and paper-based packaging has a meaningful impact on the entire paper industry.”
For more information about Twin Rivers Paper Company, visit www.twinriverspaper.com.
Two Sides membership starts at just $250 and includes lots of great benefits! Membership is open to any commercial enterprise in the Print, Paper and Paper-based Packaging value chain, as well as to industry trade groups, non-governmental and other organizations. Click here for more information about Two Sides membership or contact us at email@example.com.