Submitted: The Two Sides Team April 7, 2020
This month, our Member Spotlight is on Domtar Corporation. Domtar is the largest integrated manufacturer and marketer of uncoated freesheet paper in North America and one of the largest manufacturers of pulp in the world. Domtar makes products that people around the world rely on every day. They are industry leaders in innovating fiber-based products, technologies and services, committed to a sustainable and better future.
Domtar has been a member of Two Sides North America since its inception and both organizations have benefitted from the strong partnership. In addition to being a Two Sides member, Domtar also supports Keep Me Posted (KMP). On the industry’s behalf, the KMP campaign directly addresses paperless billing and the automatic paper billing de-selection process used by corporations. Domtar invests time on the boards of directors – John Milazo, Sr. Director of Sales – Merchants, is a member of the Two Sides board, and Tina Howard, Sr. Director of Sales – Converters & Transactional Printers, serves on the KMP board. By participating on both boards, Domtar represents their customers and helps educate and influence the public with fact-based information and thought leadership about the pulp and paper industry.
In addition to being a longtime Two Sides member, Domtar is committed to sustainability across its business. As detailed in their 2019 Sustainability Report, they have:
- Increased FSC certified fiber for their pulp and paper mills to 21% of the total fiber used. Overall, 38% of their fiber needs were met by certified wood in 2018 (the U.S. industry average is 28%).
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions and indirect emissions from purchased energy by 15% since 2010.
- Reduced total waste to landfills from their pulp and paper mills by 19% since 2010.
“Two Sides North America provides a wealth of information that helps us tell the story of print and paper as a powerful communication medium for today and the future,” says Milazo. “Our customers find the research valuable, which in turn helps them educate their customers on the value of print and paper.”
Domtar partners with Two Sides to advocate for consumer choice and to give a fair and fact-based representation of the sustainability of paper products. They use Two Sides information to bust myths, address misleading claims and provide valuable research. Their communication is supported by Two Sides printed materials, reports, website and social media.
“Domtar enthusiastically supports Two Sides’ efforts to provide accurate, fact-based information about the sustainability of print and paper,” adds Howard. “Together, we’re making a positive difference for all stakeholders who depend on paper as a sustainable, versatile and valuable part of their everyday lives.”
Two Sides supports over 155 members in North America and educates the public about the numerous benefits of paper and print. Some of the tools and support provided include:
- Fact Sheets that provide research and data to help explain the most misunderstood aspects of the industry, from paper recovery and recycling to paperless “green” claims to the environmental impact of e-communications.
- Easily-shareable infographics that highlight topics like sustainable forestry, the value of reading print on paper and our anti-greenwashing campaigns.
- An in-depth booklet that is full of Myths and Facts designed to educate the public about the print and paper industry.
- The Busting the Myths report, which gives members insight into consumer perceptions and attitudes about the paper and print industry.
- Blogs full of informative content.
- An active social media presence on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter to promote the value of paper and print to a broad audience.