Submitted: The Two Sides Team December 13, 2019
In today’s Member Spotlight, we’re featuring Resolute Forest Products, a Montreal-based global leader in the forest products industry with a diverse range of products, including market pulp, tissue, wood products, newsprint and specialty papers. A Two Sides member since 2014, Resolute’s mission and values have sustainability at its core with a focus on continual improvement of forestry and manufacturing processes to reduce their environmental footprint.
Some of the notable environmental awards and recognition that Resolute has received over the past year include:
- In November 2019, Resolute won the 2019 American Forest & Paper Association’s Leadership in Sustainability Award for Energy Efficiency/Greenhouse Gas Reduction (Large Company).
- In November 2019, for the ninth consecutive year, Resolute was recognized as one of Canada’s Top 100 Corporate R&D Spenders by Research Infosource.
- In October 2019, Yves Laflamme, Resolute’s president and chief executive officer, was named to Canada’s 2020 Clean50 and 2020 Clean16 for his contribution to sustainability and clean capitalism in Canada
- In August 2019, Resolute received three gold 2019 Stevies® from the International Business Awards (IBA), namely in the Manufacturing Company of the Year (Large) category for ensuring the sustainability of the forests in our care; in the Energy Industry Innovation of the Year category for our leading-edge initiatives in carbon capture, bio-refining and waste heat recovery; and for Corporate Social Responsibility Program of the Year in the United States and Canada
- In August 2019, Resolute won a Business Intelligence Group 2019 Sustainability Award for Sustainability Initiative of the Year
- In March 2019, Pulp and Paper International (PPI) honored Resolute with a 2019 Safety Leadership Award for our commitment to fostering a “Total Safety Organization” based on 2017 performance
- In November 2018, Best in Biz Awards (North America) honored Resolute with four distinctions, most notably a gold award for the Most Environmentally Responsible Company of the Year for successfully reducing our environmental and carbon footprint
“One of Two Sides’ main goals is to dispel common myths and misconceptions about the paper and print industries by providing members and the public with verifiable facts on why print and paper is an attractive, practical and sustainable communications medium to reach customers, educate students and collaborate with co-workers. “This work is fundamental given the sustainable characteristics of paper,” says David Marshall, Project Manager, Sustainability & Public Affairs, at Resolute Forest Product.
On why Resolute became a member, he adds: “Resolute joined Two Sides to collaborate on promoting the sustainability of our products. Demand for sustainably produced pulp and paper encourages responsible forest management and the preservation of forested land for future generations. We applaud Two Sides for producing engaging content about forest management, paper manufacturing and the environmental footprint of print communications.”
Seth Kursman, V.P. of Communications for Resolute Paper adds, “I am proud to sit on Two Sides’ board of directors. Two Sides is an effective collaborator, promoting the sustainability of the forest product industry and addressing false and misleading environmental claims.”
As a member, here are some of the ways Resolute has used Two Sides materials:
- Worked with Two Sides to help remove misleading environmental claims used by some of Resolute’s corporate service providers.
- Published almost a dozen blog posts on The Resolute Blog on Two Sides infographics.
- Promoted the sustainability of print and paper by sharing Two Sides #PaperFacts campaign hashtag with our follower base of more than 40,000 via Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
- Used the Two Sides’ blog to educate their social media followers on how print and paper play a crucial role in learning and literacy among other things.
- Shared “attractive and engaging short stories” via Two Sides videos.
- Benefited from the latest data that demonstrates the differences between print and digital, enabling them to promote content from a credible source using facts based on consumer surveys.
- Referenced Two Sides content in the Sustainability section of their corporate website. For example, their Perspectives on Paper page and their Industry Partners page contain Two Sides information.
Two Sides looks forward to our ongoing partnering with Resolute in promoting our shared value of sustainability in the forest products industries. For more information about Resolute, visit their website at https://www.resolutefp.com/.
All Two Sides members can access current fact-based tools and information that companies, schools, and organizations can use to support their own educational goals. Connect with us online at www.twosidesna.org and through social media on Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter. To join us, please visit the Two Sides Membership page, contact us by email at email@example.com or by phone at 855-896-7433.